Monday, August 25, 2008

Man, have I been lazy!?

Sorry, I would like to say I haven't been posting because a lot has been going on, but the troof is that I am incredibly lazy.

So here is a little something for you Cyclone fans.

Jamie Lou and I went to the "Meet the Coaches Night" for I-State at the 92.5 KJJY Event Center at 7 Flags Complex. Wow, that was a lot to type, but that was how it was listed on the brochure was a pretty fun night with a social hour at 5:30 (beer and wine). The Silent auction also started then. And now a rant about silent auctions. A silent auction should have ballot boxes and sheets of paper and you put you amount in the box so no one else can know what you are bidding. To simply have a sheet of paper and know how much everyone is bidding is lame. When the last one to bid wins, to me, it takes they fun out of the auction. But I digress....

Dinner was at 6:30 catering was by Christiani's. It was your standard fare, salad, pasta, beef, and deserts. All in all pretty good. 7:30 the live auction was to start, it really started closer to 7:00. The the coaches program started at 8:00 Emceed by John Walters. Speakers were Christy Johnson volleyball, Cael Sanderson Wrestling, Bill Fennelly Women's Basketball, Greg McDermott Men's Basketball, Gene Chizik Football, and Jamie Pollard Athletics Director.

It is amazing to me that in 30 minutes during the auction phase that made $17,300 with very little in the way of cost being involved from I-State's side.

The original wood carved Cy from the Jacabson building went for $1300.00

Golf in the Cyclone Challenge ($500.00 off the web site) 4-some with Jamie Pollard $600.00

Golf in the Cyclone Challenge ($500.00 off the web site) 4-some with Cael Sanderson $1300.00

Men's basketball trip for 2 to Texas $1800.00Football trip for 2 to Las Vegas $3000.00

Suite and 20 Tickets vs. Nebraska $4000.00Football trip for 2 to Iowa $1000.00

Women's Basketball trip for 2 to Iowa $700.00

Men's basketball trip for 2 to Iowa $1100.00

Sideline passes for 2 vs. Nebraska 1500.00

Women's basketball trip for 2 to KSU 1000.00

Coaches were great. Volleyball has a lot to be proud of, things really heading to where they have never been before.

Cael is funny. Not sure if he knows it, but he is. Looks like he can still compete.

Fennelly is the highlight every year.

McDermott looks like he is gettign over the loss of WJ.

Coach Chiz is all business all the time. But man did he have some cracks on Iowa. Always fun when they pander to the crowd.

And Pollard seems to be excited where things are going. I hope he stays to see the projects through.

3 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure that Cael could still easily beat the snot out of 80% of the people in the world. The other 20% would probably just be freaked out by his ears...I know I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to echo your comments on the "silent auction"
    It should really be called "Who has the deepest pocket and lots of time to monitor the list"
    Completely crap, ... but I still pencil myself down whenever I'm at one!! :-(

    Flaherty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now think about the silent auction for a minute. I'm not saying I like how they work, but they it makes sense. In a real auction, you get to know who's bidding and how much. In a silent auction, you do, too. The way you (and I) would prefer is more like a secret auction. And people could bid tiny amounts without the guilt and maybe win!

    Dani

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!