Wednesday, August 6, 2008

2008, U Gotta Love it!



Are State Fare is a great state fare! Ewe all will have a good thyme at the fare. Eye no eye will.

Oh yes it is that time again. August 7 - 17 is The IOWA STATE FAIR! While I am not a huge fan of the fair, a million people a year can't all be wrong. So in the spirit of state pride and the love of mullets let's examine things you can do at the fair.

Tickets to Grand Stand Shows (click here for ticketmaster link):
  • Micheal W Smith
  • Josh Turner : Craig Morgan
  • Rick Springfield : Patty Smyth and Scandal
  • Foreigner : Night Ranger
  • Deery Brothers late Model race
  • The Charlie Daniels Band : .38 Special : Shooter Jennings
  • Grand Outlaw National Tractor and Truck Pull
  • Vanessa Hudgens : Corbin Bleu
  • Blake Shelton : Tracy Lawrence
  • Demolition Derby with Doctor Danger
  • Def Leppard
  • The Rhubarb Tour with Garrison Keilor : Suzy Boguss
Have I heard of all these acts? No. But they are pay acts at the Iowa State Fair, so you know they are good. If you ever get the chance to hear Garrison Keilor spin a yarn I highly recommend it. Amazing story teller.

Heck then the free entertainment, just to mention a few
  • The Blenders
  • The Nadas
  • Ron Dante of the Archies
  • Lady Antebellum
There is the midway, the double ferris wheel and Big Ben Tower Drop, to game that can't be won eeerrrrrr I mean games of skill

Iowa Olympian Shawn Johnson will be honored next to the butter cow as a butter sculpture. So that is cool.

There is the Bill Riley Talent Search.

Animals with giant testicles. I mean some are GIANT!

and the food, good Lord the food on sticks ( I have read there are over 30 items on a stick this year)...
  • Fried Pineapple on a stick (the new kid on the block)
  • Salad on a Stick (the health Choice)
  • Pork Chops on a stick
  • Cheese on a stick
  • Turkey drumsticks
  • Corn Dogs on a stick
  • Cotton Candy
  • Dutch Bologna on a stick
  • Candy bar on a stick
And of course there is East Side Pride Night. If you don't already have a mullet grown or an outfit picked out I suggest you get on it. I already did (you may need to click to look closer):


7 comments:

  1. Best thing about the state fair is the people-watching. I actually jump the border and go down to Iowa's state fair every year.

    2 questions:
    Is that really a belly shirt made of boxer briefs?
    and
    Is Lee wearing roller skates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Questions. Once answer. Yes.

    That is how we "Roll"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the state fair. This is my least favorite time of year.

    Thad

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you cannot appreciate the State Fair, Thad, you don't deserve to.

    As mentioned in a comment on another blog, my two favorite people watching locations at the State fare are just our side the WHO Crystal Studio, because of all the free shit they give out, and outside the northeast corner of the Varied Industries Bldg, for the very same reason.

    I see now that I don't need to go to a State Fair to see the
    ShamWow guy sell me shammy's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit....State Fair, not State fare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, after sleeping on it, I'll retract that and say....

    Worst. Reply. Ever.

    Both are acceptible responses, which I think is to be commended.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!