Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Vinyl Me, Please #1



Youth Lagoon The Year of Hibernation on  purple vinyl
This is my first offing from Vinyl Me, Please. I had not heard of Youth Lagoon or his album The Year of Hibernation prior to receiving it in the mail last week.  I have enjoyed it quite thoroughly.  Slow, melodic, ambient like a trip through a dream.  Not a bad one, but own where you don't quite know what is happening.

Jamie Lou was working last night and instead of watching TV, I played some music and put this on and she said "Am I going to like it?"
My reply was "Only you can know that."
As were were listening she said "That was not what I expected.  I actually didn't know what to expect, but it wasn't that.  That was really easy to work to."

So there you have it, from a workaholic music critic, if you want some super chill music to be able to enjoy yet still get some work done look for Trevor Powers as Youth Lagoon and his album The Year of Hibernation.

Which brings me to my next part, the player in the photo.  Broke down and got a new powered turntable, and went with the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB.  Whilst I still have yet to utilized the USB to computer option with Audacity, I have enjoyed how easy it is to set up, balance, plug in and play with this unit.  While it may be more a low end DJ's table, the fact it has on board power and I do not have to mess with a pre-amp sold me on it.  This was picked up in large part thanks to a Christmas gift card to Amazon from Cas and Tad Chilly.  So thanks!

Now enjoy the melancholy that is:

2 comments:

  1. I remember when this album came out...and relistening to it now, I still feel the same way about it: Hypnotic background noise that my mind tends to tune out after about 10 minutes (much like Radiohead). In the long run, it makes me feel morose and a little tired. It's OK, just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not saying you should put it on to get ready to lift weights, but if you want chill background sounds for dinner or while working, it does a great job of setting a mood and a relaxed mind. But I am a big dumb animal #truth plus you sometimes need to feel tired to make you go to bed.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!