Friday, September 30, 2011

Things I Learned from the movie "Moneyball"

Mike, Keith and I went to "Moneyball" last night, and it was a pretty ok movie.  Much better than "Transformers 3", and I actually liked it more than "Warrior".

YAAAAARRRRRR THERE BE SPOILERS DOWN BELOW, SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION. YE HAVE BEEN WARNED, but as this is a movie based loosely on actual events nothing too earth-shattering is contained.

  • I learned that people that don't chew tobacco in real life, look very uncomfortable doing in on film.
  • I learned that Billy Beane let money make his choice for him, and he would never do it again.
  • I learned that he turned down $12,5000,000.00 to be the GM for the BoSox
  • I learned that in 2002 the A's paid $240,000.00 in salaries per win. That Same year the Yankees paid $1,4000,000.00 per win for the same number of wins.
  • I learned that Art Howe wasn't on board with the whole "moneyball" theory.
  • I learned that in order to get Howe to play Hatteberg at first he traded the probable rookie of the the year and all-star Pena.
  • I learned being forced to fired people is dumb.
  • I learned when your plan works out and your start winning, people will say there is not reason other than luck.
  • I learned that Billy Beane was superstitious about attending the games.
  • I learned that if your daughter seems smarter than you you should tell her that planes crash all the time as she is about to board a plane(1 year after 9/11), as that'll show her.
  • I learned that if you are superstitious you will get much more fit if you just work out for 3 hours during every game.
  • I learned that losing isn't fun
  • I learned that Billy Beane hates losing more than he likes winning.
  • I learned that silence is the sound of losing.
  • I learned that 40 games of Pena starting at first will make you flip you desk, litteraly.
  • I learned that is movie was filmed when Jonah Hill was still fat Jonah Hill.
  • I learned when you lose the last game of the season nothing else matters.
  • I learned Billy Beane didn't really care for his ex wife's new husband.
  • I learned if your kid is an accomplished guitar player she will pick out new guitars on how they look, not how they sound.
  • I learned that good parenting advise is to stay off the internet, and don't read, or talk to people.
  • I learned that silence is the sound of losing.
  • I learned that the A's blew an 11 run lead to win 20 games in a row, but Hatteberg hit a home run to secure the win and the record for 20 wins in a row.
  • I learned that players don't like paying a dollar for soda in the club house, additionally I learned that you can get three years worth of soda when trading a player to another team.
  • And Lastly, I learned that when Billy Beane points at you that is when you talk..
Up next Iowa State vs. Texa$ in Ames on Saturday Night, FX game of the week, should be a good one!

2 comments:

  1. I liked the movie too, but not being much of a baseball fan, I thought some parts were a little slow. I liked Warrior better but it was close.

    Things I learned:

    *Chewing tobacco or sun flower seeds is pretty disgusting and I don't care to watch other people do it.

    *Some girls like to write songs calling their dad a loser.

    *If you change a lyric from "I want my money back" to "you're such a loser, dad" to any song, you can claim you wrote it...even if it was really written by Lenka.

    *Baseball should have cheerleaders.

    *I wish baseball was more exciting.

    *When baseball teams go sleeveless on their main jersey it looks ugly and dumb.

    *I wish pop was still only a dollar at my local vending machine.

    *They Yankees sometimes will pay $3.5 million for you to play against them...that is what they think of you.

    *Billy Beane doesn't think this.

    *Billy Beane pays you for the player you are today, not the one you used to be.

    *Brad Pitt likes to throw things across the room.

    *Sometimes there are rich teams and poor teams, and sometimes under the poor teams is 50 feet of crap and then the A's are under that.

    *Sometimes you can get a player cheap because people don't like them, they throw funny, or they waddle like a duck.

    *Some players' worst fear is that the ball will be hit in their general direction...seriously.

    *If you never go for second because you are a large guy and you try to go for second you will trip and freak out and try to get back on first.

    *As long as you have a good On Base Percentage, it really doesn't matter what else you can do.

    *Catchers with nerve damage can become first basemen.

    *Baseball players aren't constantly doing the "Who's on First" routine...to much disappointment.

    *Scouts don't know what the problem is.

    *Phillip Seymour Hoffman looks weird with a shaved head...but he does look like a baseball coach.

    *Billy Beane should not have been drafted in the first round...he should have gone in the ninth round with no signing bonus.

    *Billy Beane sometimes wishes he took a scholarship instead of going straight to the MLB.

    *You can't start Pena tonight.

    *Billy Beane is a fun name to say.

    *If you are trying to trade for a player and the GM says that they love him - the GM either actually hate him or doesn't know who he is.

    *Baseball players would rather take one to the head rather than five in the chest and bleed to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All valid things to learn. Warrior was a bit too much WWE for me, way too many slams and throws, but wheat ever I guess. case of rum case of rum

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!