Friday, September 16, 2011

Things I learned from the movie "Apollo 18"

Well, the Merle Hay Cinema had "Apollo 18" on the big screen, so it was decided that was the movie for the night.  I was going to be joined by Keith, Mike and Angie for this awesome movie experience.  I beat the other three to the movie theater, bought my ticket and was the first one in.

I know it is hard to see, but it is kind of a creepy place when you are the only one in there.

I got the reaction I was looking for when I hear Mike laughing all the way from the back as I had chosen to sit in the front row right in the middle.  I am not sure why as children we ever thought that was a cool place to be, maybe because to the bigness of it all, maybe because kids are dumb, I guess I will never know.  After moving to the perfect seats both visually and sound wise we settled in for the movie. see below for the trailer that grabbed my attention the most.

With that here are the things I learned from the movie Apollo 18:

YAAAAARRRRRR THERE BE SPOILERS DOWN BELOW, SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION. YE HAVE BEEN WARNED.
  • I learned that in preivious moon mission 840 pounds of rocks were brought back to earth.
  • I learned that most of those rocks were given away as gifts to foreign leaders or stolen
  • I learned that Apollo 17 was the last official trip to the moon.
  • I learned that Russian moon landers look and work pretty much like the American ones
  • I learned that their suits were not rated to go into the cold of the craters.
  • I learned that Russian cosmonauts did not have tread on their boots
  • I learned that Russia can just patch you over to the American DoD in real time.
  • I learned that flashlights are over rated, using your flash from  your camera is a much better way to search in the dark
  • I learned that even in space NASA will require you to shave.
  • I learned that putting your balls in a glass of milk can make the jalapeno pain go away
  • I learned that the government's need to know basis goes away when they know you are going to die, once they know that they will tell you everything, even though the Russians are still listening.
  • I learned that they government will then let you know that they will let your family know you died as a hero.
  • I learned that if you make a choice between peas and carrots, you will be given the opposite of what you ask for.
  • I learned that his wife left him because he snores
  • I learned that he doesn't snore
  • I learned that the government will give you a 60 second count down if you are disobeying a direct order to leave your infected friend.
  • I learned that moon aliens that look like spiders will make me sing "ROOOOOCK LOBSTER" every time I see one.
  • I learned that while "Ice Pirates" had space herpes, it looks like the moon has rock crabs.
  • I learned that moon aliens hate flags, and rovers for that matter.
  • I learned that if these astronauts hadn't died on a mission that never existed "Top Gun" may have had some different players
  • I learned that if the moon rocks are actually spider aliens, the 840 pounds brought back to earth might be a bad thing.
  • I learned that if you ever have trouble sleeping, buy this movie on DVD, pop it in the player and nighty night, it is the land of Nod for you.
  • Lastly I learned that this movie was better than Transformers 3
So I am sure there are tons more, but this move was pretty "Meh"  like Blair Witch meets Jason X meets Transformers.  I give it a C-.

Saw a few trailers the only one that really stuck out to me was "In Time" starring JT:




Song of the Day, still sad I turned down the guy's offer at the record store to go to Omaha and see them.  I mean why would a 16 year old want to go with strangers to a concert....ugh:


Here is some thing that was just suggested on the side from youtube, and I really liked it. the style gangster country, the genre? High. the result? FANTASTIC!

1 comment:

  1. PS the line about Space Herpes and Rock Crabs was pretty awesome.

    Learned things:

    *Movies made to be like Blair Witch don't really have the same effect when you can't relate to the situation

    *It is usually scarier when you don't see the monster

    *Astronauts are really bad at nicknames...Jalapeno Dick? Jalapenis just writes itself...and there are a hundred better than JD

    *If they took a left at Albuquerque they probably would have found Sentinel Prime instead

    *Westinghouse made the cameras for the Apollo missions but no longer make cameras at all

    *Astronauts said "Westinghouse" a lot

    *If a rock crab cuts its way inside you...you probably won't notice, nor will you remember screaming "there is something in my suit"

    *rock spiders don't do so well against hammers

    *ISU professor Alexander Abian was probably right...we should blow up the moon

    *Not once did Apollo 18 astronauts drink Tang

    *That even though the mission lasted for 6 days and had like 12 cameras...only 84 hours of video exist

    *Watching them astronauts land on the moon made me want to play the classic arcade game Lunar Lander

    *The website promoted at the beginning and end of the movie isn't that great

    *There are many great sci-fi movies...this is not one of them

    *It is hilarious to see your friend sitting front row center when he is the only one in the theater

    *The theater worker didn't think anyone was going to show up and would get to go home early...and so was sad to see us.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!