Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Great Tomato Incident (2009)

So Jamie Lou got some great gifts from her sister Kerry's family (Kerry, Tom, Peter, and James). They were upside down tomato hangers. I have since come to learn that pretty much anything can and will grow upside down.

But I digress....


So earlier with brother Zac's help we basically built a cross in my back yard where is gets full sun. And it is a very nice cross, nice enough Thad may even want to burn it! (a little Dubuque humor for everyone there.... I am in no way implying that Thad burns crosses. But I have built a cross in my backyard, and he is from Dubuque.)



Zac and I were proud. we had made a tomato hanger thingy, with no plans or help from anyone. soon though I saw the error of my ways. While the top of the arms of the tomato hanger was tall enough once you hung the basket with its chain it was much lower than I had anticipated. as you can see on the left here, the tomato plant is already almost on the ground. See being a first time upside down fruit grower I really didn't know at all what to expect.

This is why I consider myself to be adaptable, I don't let it bother me when things go bad, I just drink a few beers and ignore the problem. If that doesn't fix it, I'll venture out into the world and see if there is any inspiration to be had out there. If that doesn't fix it, then it must not be too big of a problem and we will own the issue and make it a plus (see our yellow counter top as proof).




So once day while out working on my uncle Joe's pool with Zac I see he too has some unside down hangers, but his are on his deck with pipe holding it up in the air **idea forms here**



While I have no deck to run pipe up on, I do have a great tomato crucifix in my backyard I can use. So off the the Home Depot (only one trip to the hardware store for maybe the first time in my life, maybe because I drew up what I needed and stuck to the plan).







below are the results of my fix. I ended up getting 2 extra 90's to keep the 200# circles holding up the hangers from falling off the end. All in all a pretty good project, and I think the tomatoes will be good as there are already blooms all over both plants. You can see in the last picture how much lift was actually attained:



10 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your work! Did you know Uncle Joe lost several of his plants in last week's storm?! We also lost the swing set and his truck box/storage thing was blown over.
    Anyway, very impressive work! :o)
    LaLa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive on the one trip to Home Depot! The tomato crucifix is quite nice as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. strange thing is, it is way more expensive when you get everything you need in one trip.....

    and no I had no idea Joe lost stuff... T&D had some of their fence snap the 4x4s off at the ground, grill fell apart and the glass recycling broke in the pool sadness

    ReplyDelete
  4. What he failed to mention was that he was out building this awesome piece of art at 10:30 Tuesday night -- definitely not complaining, just even more impressive that he built it in the dark. I'm trying to convince him to make it into art -- possibly by putting a basset hound weather vane on top? Just a thought. As you can tell, we're pretty excited about the potential for tomatoes!
    Jamie Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drink A FEW beers and ignore the problem? I think you're selling yourself short. ;-)
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm glad I was somehow included in this blog. Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So making multiple trips is easier to justify in the budget? I must practice that as I usually end up making 2 or 3 trips...although my bookcase (blogging about that tomorrow) only took 3 trips to Menards, and 1 trip to Hancock Fabrics...not too bad considering the scope. Nice work on tomato hanger. If I ever decide to go inverted, I'm giving you a call.

    PS...the KKK prefers the term "Lighting the Cross" to burning. I guess "burning" has some kind of negative connotations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like the crucifix is flexing its muscles now.

    There should be plenty of tomatoes for Jamie and me to can this summer.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. There you go Thad, edited to move the *note, up so it is easier to find

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!