Monday, July 6, 2009

The Good the Bad and the Ugly.....

Well Jamie Lou's uncle Charlie gave a call to the house sometime back. (a little background here, Uncle Charlie used to drive a big rig and Des Moines was one of his routes. and when ever we would be in Kansas City he would say "I drove by your house the other day" and we would ask why he would never call. Well 12 years later Uncle Charlie called.) The call was a few weeks back and Jamie whispers to me, "I think something is wrong, it is Charlie on the phone." Well the complete opposite was true, there wasn't a thing wrong... in fact he was taking us up on the offer to come to Des Moines with a place to stay. You see over the 4th is the 17th annual Good Guys Heartland Nationals. Now Charlie isn't just a car show buff, he happens to be the proud owner of a blue 1970 Torino GT with a white drop top. While it was the 4th of July 2009 in Des Moines Iowa global warming made sure that it was in the 60s and raining most of the day. But was had a good time and below are some of out favorites from Saturday the 4th. Please leave a comment let me know which ones you really like.

Charlie and his torino

Charlie and his torino
Charlie and his torino


This car would turn gold when the sun came out...


While I like chrome on Bel Airs... I liked this color combo here


Jamie Lou started to fall in love with delivery trucks, not as much as bel airs but quite a bit.


it don't get much more purple that this...

El Camino.....



Herbie got embarassed

It just shows that Orange and White do go together, but My 2010 with have black stripes...

A tad Hawk coloered for me, but this was a real nice car.



A lot of work on this rod... look at the copper work....



While I didn't know Ike, I think I like him too


Different strokes for different folks

Copper and Ornage were both real popular


You don't see a lot of DeSotos aroudn these days


A woody bus ready for the beach



Let's see zero to dead on 4 seconds... what should we call it?

Studabaker made some sexy cars.....

Jamie lou said she hated flames, but I think they grew on her towards the end.





A 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon, not original like ours, but it still had the same smell











You think Ace and Gary brought this one? The guy that owned this Jag didn't want to say one word to us.... wonder why his car looks like a dick...

9 comments:

  1. The jags is parked by the Polish Sausage stand as well. Made me laugh a little harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am not a big car fan...I do enjoy checking out the oldies every once in a while. Sometimes though it just pisses me off as everyone was modding them and putting A) a big stupid engine with a big stupid blower, B) shaving the handles and chopping the windows...it was just so ZZ Top. I like a car that is restored to stock, or if updated and styled make it subtle and stylishly fitting to the original.

    Ha ha, I love how the delivery van is named "Deliverance".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never noticed the Sausage Stand, HAHA....

    I like when a car gets made into something better than it was. If that means shaving handles and air ride great, but if it looks bad then it is a waste of money in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some good looking cars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo! My fav is the pink one!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shockingly, I didn't take any pics of Mustangs, which are still my first love. A close second is definitely the Bel Aire. I could also get used to having Uncle Charlie chauffer us around. Can't wait to go back again next year, I think I'll start growing my mullet out now. But really, it was quite a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks like you guys had a great time. shame the jag guy was a cock, but I guess there has to be one out there to keep the universe in balance....

    I think I'll tell Dad about the huge classic car show happening in Cambridge in August...

    You're bad, you're bad... shamon

    Guts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erik likes the El Camino and if my station wagon would have been pink like that one I totally would have kept it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!