Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Like the Phoenix




It seems lately the things I like either go away or go bad. My awesome computer when turned on the other day wouldn't boot and made a strange beeping noise. Went to get some milk the other morning, it was bad. Some programs at work that seem to be fine all of the sudden can't seem to run. My favorite weekly hang out for 5 years, Billy Joe's, closed. And now my absolute favorite restaurant in Des Moines, Sage, will be closing their doors at the end of April.




I know, poor Cam, it must be hard to be you..... But hey, now my computer has and extra 2 GB of RAM and a new video card. There happened to be another gallon of milk in the fridge. Programs can always be fixed, I think that is what is called job security. Billy Joe's has actually re-opened, all be it sans movie theater and at last check trivia is missing too. And Chef Meek is going to be heading downtown to Sbrocco. So all is not lost, and things are never quite as bad as they seem. But as we have come to point out at work.... things are never as bad as they seem, until they are. well we say that and 110 111, what ever it takes.




So I dedicate this posting to things that once were but are no longer

  • Iowa State Basketball
  • Me wearing 32" waist pants
  • My 81 Camaro
  • Sage
  • Pushing Daisey's
  • The Sinclair dinosaur
  • Prissy's right eye
  • My ability to stay up until 2AM and get up for work at 6
  • My N64
  • That great house at Simpson that seems to be no more
  • Grass in my backyard
  • The beer barn
  • Life on Mars
  • Roadshow video
  • Billy Joe's Picture Show
  • Pondarosa
  • The camp dodge pool
  • Barnards
  • The ground round
  • Videos on MTv
  • Trees in my front yard
  • and Adam Fausch

I'd like to hear some other things from around Des Moines that are missing.

Sometimes it does feel true that I change by not changing at all

10 comments:

  1. Probably the main thing missing is Adam Fausch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other things I miss:

    *Nickelodeon Arcades
    *River Hills Theater
    *Forum Four Theater
    *Aladdin's Castle/Fun Time/LazerX/whatever else it was called.
    *Farley's Family Fun
    *Granny's Arcade
    *The Game Shop
    *Wax Works Records
    *Archives Records
    *Super Toad
    *Safari Club
    *Children's Palace (remember when it kicked Toys R Us' ass?)
    *The futon mattress store that used to be on Douglas (they made awesome handmade mattresses at very good prices)
    *Jester Park Sled Hill and zip line
    *The A&W by the fairgrounds
    *and Adam Fausch!
    I'm sure there are many others.

    Luckily George the Chili King and Little Johns are still here. Hells Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. - being able to go out with Cam and Jam whenever we want without having to cart a kid along or get a babysitter, and along the same lines, only worrying about what food goes into MY mouth
    - Ruttles in Ames
    - Richmond Gordmans - remember the little play area, which leads me to being able to leave kids unattended and feel safe
    - cheap movies
    - The Register with actual news in it
    - politics without the ridiculous talking heads
    - UFC fight night at Daytona's
    - being able to go into and sled at Camp Dodge
    - the Camp Dodge pool
    - Adventureland once a summer, when the SuperScreamer and the Alpine ride were still there

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1536 and Cinema III
    I miss their ads in the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and really good local bands like:

    *On a Pale Horse
    *Deadfront

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about your ability to do the splits? Oh, wait....that wasn't you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. -Chi-Chi's Mexican restaurant
    -Paint on the Tornado at A-land
    -The Viking Inn (Altoona) complete with a giant viking statue
    -The North End Diner
    -Pizza Huts where you actually ate inside the hut rather than delivery or take out
    -Happy Joe's being the cool place to celebrate a kid's birthday
    -English

    LaLa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time!

    Cas

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!