Monday, February 2, 2015

Vinyl Me, Please




Mike asked for the list of "52 must have" albums on vinyl as compiled from Vinyl Me, Please.
A grouping compiled from a lot of different sources that aggregated to the list below. So here they in alphabetic order, RED AND BOLD = NEED  while BLACK AND STRUCKTHROUGH = HAVE. So that is 15 of the 52 possessed, and for those of you not math inclined that leaves 37 left to procure. and that is part of the fun, trying to find some as you can't just get them all on Amazon.com.  And I will say it again, if anyone sees Beck's - Sea Change on vinyl and it isn't crazy expensive, pick it up and I will pay you back for it :)

52 - Must Haves (not my list, just taken and used from vinyl me, please) 
1  Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavillion  
2  Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique
3  The Beatles – Revolver
4  Beck – Sea Change
5  Beirut – The Flying Club Cup
6  The Black Keys – Thickfreakness
7  Blur-Think Tank
8  Boards of Canada – Music Has the Right to the Children
9  Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde
10 Bon Iver – Bon Iver
11 Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
12 Darkside – Psychic
13 David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust
14 Dire Straits – Love Over Gold
15 DJ Shadow – …Entroducing
16 The Felice Brothers – The Felice Brothers
17 The Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin
18 Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes
19 Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
20 Funkadelic – Maggot Brain
21 Joanna Newsom – Have One On Me
22 John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
23 Joni Mitchell – Blue
24 Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures
25 Kid Koala – 12 bit Blues
26 Led Zeppelin – II
27 Madvillain – Madvillainy
28 Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On
29 Michael Jackson – Thriller
30 Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
31 My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
32 Neil Young – Harvest
33 Neutral Milk Hotel – In an Aeroplane Over the Sea
34 Panda Bear – Tomboy
35 Paul Simon – Graceland
36 Pavement – Slanted and Enchanted
37 Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of the Moon
38 Portishead – Third
39 R.L. Burnside – Too Bad Jim
40 Radiohead-KidA
41 Refused – The Shape of Punk to Come
42 The Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street
43 Sigur Rós – Agaetis Byrjun
44 Slint – Spiderland
45 Steely Dan – Aja
46 The Strokes – Is This It?
47 Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
48 Van Morrison – Moondance
49 The War On Drugs – Lost In The Dream
50 The White Stripes – Elephant
51 Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
52 Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

5 comments:

  1. Definitely modern music heavy...and trending to alternative and hipster style. I supposed it is comforting that half of the must haves have been released since 2000? That must mean music is getting better, right?
    There that I would call bad on this list - but to me, a lot of it seems like it is on the list for neckbeard cred, instead of being a must-have album. No metal, miniscule punk, and rap. 85% alternative, with 15% monster classic albums. I have never heard anyone say - "Must have? Joanna Newsome. Hands down, Joanna Newsome."
    Too me, a lot of this list seems like albums that the list creator thinks was underrated...I would probably do the same if I made a list, but I don't know that I would claim it as "Must-Have".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked up and read the post of Vinyl Me, Please...and it is more a list that should be owned on vinyl vs another format. OK, I can see that more than just a list of Must Have albums. Vinyl format does huge things for some albums and is a total wash on others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said above, and I also believe the points you make is a reason for the list they made when they say "This list is by no means exhaustive. We hope that it will create a discussion and you, the reader, will toss in your own picks as well in the comments section below. Enjoy!" Also each month in addition to the one you get you have the option to purchase up to 12 additional different records as well..I haven't got into those yet. But this is where popmarket comes in handy to get old metal and rock and punk :)
      all that said, it is a wide range from folk to rock to electronic to hop hop and a lot of stuff in between, So far I have been really happy to sit and listen... and you really do have to listen, no next button you have to get you fat ass up if you want to skip a track... and I really have not felt any need for that, just fun to spin disks and list listen and have a drink..

      Delete
  3. Yep, love records for that reason...it makes you actually listen to it. I miss that, and still try to do it with CDs or mp3 because usually my favorite ends up being one that I did not like at first. Maybe it was too complex, too different, or just not catchy enough on first listen; but a couple listens down the road and I realize its finer qualities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just say , "must have been in a bad mood when I listened the first time" when I come back to something that I really enjoy later...

      Delete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!