Thursday, October 1, 2009

The weekend that was Part 2 of 3

This last weekend was one of the best weekends ever. Friday night was the Dave Matthews Band. Saturday was tailgating and the I-State vs. Army football game. Sunday I was at the Vikings vs. 49ers game in Minneapolis (maybe the best finish I have seen in person).


Second up is the Saturday I-State vs. Army experience.



Unfortunately our friends Ty and Jess couldn't make the Army game. While we did miss them their tickets didn't go to waste as cousin Lauree and Dan were going to go in their stead. Well Dan called in sick with a sandy vagina but second cousin Keegan filled in quite perfectly.



The day started with us meeting at 12:30 at T and D's and packing to go up to Ames. The trailer hitch shelf that we got some years back is turning out to be quite a useful purchase. It allowed 5 people, the next bigger than the last, and 6 chairs and 3 coolers and 3 plastic totes and 1 grill and one small tent with USA cover to fit in to the Envoy. All those years of Dr. Mario and Tetris in college really is paying off better than my degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science on a daily basis I am finding.



We got to Ames at around 1:45 and started to unpack. We are becoming quite efficient if I do say so myself. it was around 1:46 I remember seeing the grill's gas regulator and tank sitting in T and D's garage back in Granger. That was a low point of the day for me I think. But Jamie Lou was still in Des Moines coming up later so she was able to make it out there and pick it up for us. Double lucky for us are the nice people we have been tailgating with this season as we were able to use some one else's Roadtrip gas tank until Jamie Lou could make it up to Ames.



Eventually Jamie Lou did make it along with Brazilian coworkers Flavio and Renato. It was Flavio and Renato's first experience with American football and Iowa Sate tailgating. I am positive they left the country really enjoying both.



It was burger, beers and brats for lunch. Tried some new pineapple stuffed brats and people seemed to enjoy them. I only picked up four so didn't personally get one, but judging by the fact they all got snarfed down they couldn't have been too bad. I also for the first time picked up some thin sliced pork loins. I covered them in A-1 on both sides grilled them up and tossed them on some buns. They worked out quite nicely. Tastey, quick, easy can't do much better than that.



As has become our tradition we leave our tailgate up during the game. This is done for two reasons 1) so that we can come out and have some beers at half time (so glad they still allow pass outs) and B) instead of fighting traffic, it is just as easy to fire up the grill and eat dinner and let the traffic clear out rather than fight it and get mad.



As the game was against Army once every hour on the hour two howitzers were shot off. Man o man were they loud on that side of the stadium. We caught a couple Go Army national guard mini footballs, so that is always fun. We tried to find family of some of my friends, but with that many people around it is almost impossible. We did get to meet up with one of Lauree's friends so that was nice. At half time of the gave 13 current I-State student swore into the Army and would be recognized as officers upon their graduation. I hate to say it but when the ceremony started and the man in charge said "Repeat after me. I, State your name" the lady in front of me and I both said aloud at the same time "I state your name" she got a head slap from her husband, I got the "dumb-ass" look from Jamie Lou. I blame Mel Brooks.



The game itself was a nice game by our Clones. A nice solid win with decent passing and better running being displayed. 3 -1 at this point is right where I thought they would be. I am hoping for a win this next Saturday vs K-State. that would put them at 4 -1 and need only two more W's to be bowl eligible. With this new staff and the young players that extra practice time they would get would be invaluable.

Next up Sunday......

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see I-State doing well. Ha ha...you're not the only one that forget things. Once Steve and I were half way to Cedar Rapids when we realized that we didn't have the concert tickets with us...you'll double check from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... only this isn't the first time, once we left the entire grill.....

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts and feedback!